Monday, November 24, 2014

Paige Vanzant wins UFC debut and fight of the night bonus



UFC women’s straw weight Paige Vanzant could not be the member of "The Ultimate Fighter: 20" who was inaugural women’s 115 pound champion because of her age. The 20 year old fighter was not able to take part in the “A Champion Will Be Crowned” season because alcohol received from the fighter house. 

Paige won her promotional debut at UFC Fight Night 57 against Kailin Curran on Saturday. She filled her eyes with tears after TKO win. She won fight of the night honors with $50,000 bonus.  

“Going into it, I always get nervous before I perform,” said VanZant.  “I’m completely in awe still. I’m in shock,” she added. 

When I started training to fight, it was more out of boredom than anything,' who has earned the nickname 12 Gauge in the fighting world. 'I was looking for more things to do. I started with boxing, and my coaches told me I had a lot of potential, and that I should consider making it a career. I was like, "Whatever."

“I was just 15 at the time, and I never imagined something like that. When I turned 18, they asked if I would take a fight and I said, ‘Yeah.’ I won it and all of the sudden, there was all this interest and all these opportunities. I had just one amateur fight, and then my coach got a call for a pro fight for me. I thought about it and said, ‘If I’d fight anyway, I might as well get paid for it.’” 

'I definitely think I proved myself in this fight that I didn't need to be on The Ultimate Fighter to make a name for myself,' she said in a press statement.

No comments: